While my semester and Responsive Surface class is over, there are still challenges with the tic-tac-toe arduino project that I’d like to tackle.
1. Rewriting my detection algorithm so that it’s space and LED independent
The tic-tac-toe board uses a photoresistor to detect if there is an X or O on the board. If your opponent plays a piece, it turns a LED on. The current algorithm uses an average of 10 values initially and continuously updates the average with a new set of 5 values and compares an “old” versus “new” set of values. Unfortunately, the algorithm doesn’t work that great. Aside from the space’s lighting system, turns out that the number of LED’s on impacts the photoresistor, and it doesn’t always correctly detect if an X or O is placed on the board!
2. Adding wireless functionality
My board is currently using serial communication to speak with the Tic-Tac-Toe game on my laptop. What I’d like is to be able to move the board independently around. I found a link that discusses a number of different wifi solutions.
A friend of mine also introduced me to
I’m looking for a low cost solution. We shall see if that’s feasible !
3. Add functionality so the user can “join” the game
Right now there’s no way for a player to “join” the game. The game assumes that the player with the board starts first. I’ve started sketching new ideas so the player can “join” the game and also so the game can respond back to the player if s/he is X or O
The reason why I wanted to participate in the Responsive Surface class is to learn and think harder about how to create experiences outside of purely “digital” devices. I hope to continue to make things that can enhance one’s experience when you’re away from a “digital” device.